Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Enough with the Hate


Stop the hate

I am writing this, not because it was on the news, not because someone on TV said something, but because someone in my personal life said something. Someone asked me about my religious beliefs and I told them the truth “I am an atheist.” I did not want to get into it, because I know it can start heated arguments. The person asked enough times that I had to say it, “Religion turned me into an atheist”

Do not get me wrong, religion does a lot of good for a lot of people. When Hurricane Katrina happened, religious organizations got there and helped way before FEMA did, and they deserve credit for that. My problem with religion is when it is used as a tool to divide people. I am pro gay marriage, and I always make that clear, even though it brings out the idiot on a lot of people. I have been called a faggot, gay, queer. Never bothered me because although I am straight, I have gay and bisexual friends who are some of the best people anyone will ever have the chance to know. I am thankful I can call them my friends.

However, when I am asked about my religion, and I said I am an atheist, I use the gay issue as an example of why I am not a religious person. I find it so morally wrong to judge a person because of whom they chose to love. How can anyone just say that someone’s life style is an abomination? That’s when they quote the bible. The bible does call homosexuality an abomination, that is true. The bible also calls touching a pig’s skin an abomination, so I guess if you ever played foot ball you are as guilty as anyone. The bible also says it is ok to sell your daughter to slavery. They even give the rules on how to treat slavery. The bible also says it is ok to stone your kid death if he is insolent. My point is, just because the bible says it, it does not make it right.

I don’t care what people call me. Call me all the names in the book, it does not hurt me. It does not mean that I think discrimination is ok, but I know better. IMHO discrimination is an abomination. Unfortunately ignorance is powerful although it makes the person weak. All this anti gay marriage movements are based on discrimination, on the need to feel superior to someone. Just like Men wanted to feel superior to women before women got the right to vote. Just like some whites had the need to feel superior to blacks before the civil rights movement. This is the movement of our times. This is when a few of us must stand for what is right, not for what is popular. After all, if no one did in the sixties we would have segregation still.

No comments: